Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nappy-less

I’m still pinching myself; it might be too good to be true.


But it is.


Yessiree, there is no doubt about it. Sophia is officially off nappies! Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah! And I’m officially done with potty training my last baby until the day when the hubs and I need adult-sized ones along with kicky orthopedic shoes.


I’m deliriously glad that my youngest baby kick-started potty-training all on her own. We didn't need singing Elmo on DVD to facilitate the transition nor did we need the huge jar of M & Ms rewards system. All she needed was to model herself in her big sister's footsteps. She desired “big girls’ underwear” perferably ones exactly like Monique's. And so, before her 2nd birthday, she stayed dry during the day, mostly self-regulated unlike the times when I had to drag the other kids to the potty. We rewarded her efforts with training underwear during the day, a couple of 'Hello Kitty' stickers and her delight was our reward. 


But I didn’t think her ability to stay dry overnight would happen promptly after she'd turned 2.5 yrs old. About 2 weeks before leaving for my NYC getaway, she’d been waking up overnight with a dry nappy. Then, while I was gone that weekend, the hubs allowed her to go nappy-less at night – quelle horreur! I would never have allowed that until she turned 10 or could do up all the back buttons on a very long dress -- with gloves on.


I’m celebrating. But I don’t want to jinx myself so, I’m keeping that ratty-looking nappy -- just incase.

No comments:

Post a Comment