Friday, September 24, 2010

They went, "wee wee wee ... all the way to school." And She went Whoo Hoo!

We had an absolutely fabulous 2 weeks in Orlando, really. And I’m pleading you not to judge my use of superlatives in this case!


There weren’t any major nor even minor mishaps; we didn’t lose any kids nor sell any in a fit of exasperation; the weather was fine even if it was roasting hot on many days scalding my lily white children & hubs. Suffice to say, Disney’s magic was enjoyed and appreciated by both young and old.


But all good things do come to a premature halt and we find ourselves marching to the tune of familiarity i.e. our lives in Painted Post.


Hum drum it may be for some of us, but at least for Aidan and Sophia, this week marks new beginnings for them. Aidan started kindergarten on Monday – a week and a half later than the other mates already mostly settled in his class. He is in a class of 18 other children and is already friends with one of his classmates -- Hannah Watkins -- whom he has known from preschool days. His teacher --Mrs Coger -- who was briefly Sean’s form teacher in Kindergarten too, has already pointed out that the two brothers are “complete night and day”. I wouldn’t consider her extremely perceptive on account of this observation because a person of lesser capability would have picked that one up too. But I'm not discounting her based on this revelation because I like Mrs Coger -- she is both firm and nuturing -- a match for my wilful 5-year old. Plus, who would want to mess with someone who towers over me head and shoulders and tells the kids that when she gets upset, "smoke comes out of her nose and ears"? I doubly love this lady!


Sophia skipped off to her first day at preschool on Tuesday, disappointed that she couldn’t join her siblings at their school but thrilled that she gained new companions and a new adoring audience for 2.5 hours twice a week. She has the same teachers who’d taught Aidan last semester. They know her well since she’s followed Aidan to class three times a week at drop-offs and pick-ups. In typical girl fashion, she’s gunning for class president 2011 -- adhering to instructions and even pointing out to her teacher how capable she is at heeding their word; memorizing words to songs in an eye blink with the accompanying arm movements… yessiree, this child is proving that pre-kindy is not a cupcake walk.


As for me, I have now 5 hours of free time a week. Plenty time to hop over to Cancun, Mexico; drink tea in fine china with a lifted pinky finger with other socialites in the area gossiping about the latest hair trends and botox treatments; or I could be realistic and enjoy the peace and quiet whilst I send my car in for servicing and grocery shop --which was what I ended up doing.



The other day, after dropping Sophia off at school, I headed to Wegmans for some groceries. I saw a Dad chasing his lively 2-year old bounding down the aisles while leaving behind the clunky and oversized cart with the attached kiddy car -- driver’s seat still warm from toddler damp.


I nodded sympathetically at the Dad and then raised my hallelujah hands thanking the Lord that I'd been spared, at least just for those 2.5 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment