Friday, January 4, 2013

The way we were .... in 2012

I'd promised some photos of the family and found plenty from our Nicaraguan trip over last summer.  Yes, there were photos aplenty but not all were picture perfect.  Just try getting all 4 kids looking and smiling into the camera at the same time = near impossible.  Plus, the longer I subjected them to standing still under the Nicaraguan heat, the whinier and more annoying they became.  I ended up lowering my standards and allowing my pictures to show 2 goofy looking kids as opposed to one, or preferably none.  


"N(one) of these things is like the other"



Capturing Sean is difficult, he doesn't always smile for me. This is a rare picture.

Sound the alarm, trouble is here.

Instances of sibling affection should always be captured. The next moment is always a wild card.

Capturing the hubs is an even bigger challenge. He almost never smiles, hates posed smiling (I have to agree). So, I'd rudely point my camera at him while he was in mid-speech just so that I could capture him in mid-genuine smile -- like this picture. Me likey.


Another attempt at a family shot. Only one grumpy kid in there, pity about the shadows.

Spot my volcano climbers.

I cringe seeing this picture and taking it was hard. Seeing my baby sitting on the hubs' shoulders and peering over the edge spooked me.

I'd rather she posed with fake vegetables.



Just some of us.


This was the best of 3 pictures. One had the hubs' head sliced off and the other was pure blurry. But there, all of us in this one.


Excuse my cheesy smile but this was the most promising of the "couple" pictures.  Credit to Monique, I think.

My water babies.
The next few collages are compilations of Nicaraguan scenes. 

Street scenes taken in Granada and Leon.

Scenes taken from the crater rim.


Student demonstration was so lively and entertaining that you'd forget that it was actually a protest march. 

Granada and Leon churches' interesting and burnt facades are from revolution.


I had all good intentions to post a blog on our Nicaraguan trip but I'd taken vacation time during a very packed work schedule.  So, upon our return, I was swamped with catch-up work deadlines. I'll sum it up quickly here:

Dirt poor 3rd world = check

Eye candy for photography = check

Eye-opener for my sheltered kids used to first world order and structure = check

Eye-opener for my sheltered kids that there are kids out there hungry and begging for food; and they really shouldn't be complaining about how their mother's food taste yucky = check.

Friendly and helpful locals = check

Locals have great sense of community and pride = check

Great way to brushen up my defunct Spanish in a hurry = check

Would I return = hell yeah!

That's all folks, hopefully 2013 will be a lot more photogenic.







1 comment:

  1. Great photos, Julie! Everyone looks great. Wow, a trip to Nicaragua, so cool. xoxo

    ReplyDelete