Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Smuggled 'bak kwa'? Not anymore.


Presenting homemade barbequed sweet pork jerky otherwise better known as ‘long yoke’ or ‘bak kwa’ for Singaporeans (and Malaysians). My nightly fantasies that the US customs and border protection will bring an end to the restriction of imported cured meats will now vaporize; I will never have to listen to other people’s successful but tedious ways of smuggling it past the patrolling sniffer dogs without setting off frenzied barking. Nor will I ever stoop to ask my dear mother to bring it in for me knowing that she will be up several nights plotting out cunning ways to outsmart customs. Sure, the cured meat will taste even more heavenly but at the price of worrying about the potential heavy penalties imposed if caught. I’m good at abiding the law (really), but for most part, I think I'm just desperate to lay hands on decent 'bak kwa', and so I went ahead and made some. And like most foods, it isn’t complicated. Trust me, I wasn’t born with the Martha Stewart silver spoon in my mouth.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!! first keropok, now this?!!! it's your big, amazing kitchen isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! Yes and No. It is for the kids -- can't have them grow up 1/2 S'porean & not eating the staples of my childhood, right?;)
    And, promise, I'll make you some for CNY 2011, if you like:)

    ReplyDelete