Saturday, November 27, 2010

For these I am Thankful

Our feast from (L-R): roasted dumpling squash with maple syrup; roasted tri-colour capsicums and sweet onions with garlic rosemary breadcrumbs; mashed new potatoes with scallions; herbed bread stuffing; green bean casserole with mushrooms; roasted herbed chicken; cranberry and orange relish; roasted thyme and olive oil carrots and gravy.
Thanksgiving was on Thursday and since the hubs and I are only one step away from being sworn citizens, I felt obliged to celebrate it because the kids have come to expect a turkey on the table. Never mind that the history of this day that Americans recognize as a cheesy Kumbaya-singing integration between native Indians and the pilgrim settlers is actually a myth rigorously enforced at elementary schools, but like Christmas day, we’ve turned it into a day of observance where family and friends gather to spend quality time over a festive spread; and those horrid historical details are best swept under the burgeoning carpet of delusions.

Washed scarlet cranberries
But being nearly American means ‘hi-five-ing’ my new found enthusiasm and leaving my cynicism at the door. And in true American spirit, I dug deep into my soul and tried to list a few things for which I’m grateful for -- the way my kids had to at school this week. My list is rough around the edges but I’m certain 10 years later, I’ll hone it to an art. For now, it reads something like this:


1. I’m thankful that my turned-vegan hubs means that I’m spared from cooking a turkey heavier than Sophia. Anything that looks like an animal crouched on my plate makes me nervous. Will it rise up on its hind legs and attack me? Will it serve me up with gravy and mashed potatoes?

Quartered navel oranges ready to be chopped
2. In any case, I think the turkey really is the uglier and drier-tasting cousin of the chickens and if it weren’t for Thanksgiving, no one would really bother going through that much effort cooking one. So, I’m thankful that my mind was still sound enough to choose the tastier bird for the feasting.

Three cheers for Chicken!

Cranberry and orange relish, tart and tasty -- Sean's favourite
3. I’m thankful for my hardworking oven, for which without it, our Thanksgiving food might have sparked great misery and ‘un-thankful’ feelings across the table.

4. I’m thankful that someone created a recipe that made green beans tons more exciting and even when I’d tweaked it to turn it vegan-friendly, it was still kick-ass delicious!

Sweet carrots ready for roasting with olive oil and thyme -- Monique's favourite
5. I’m thankful for Google for without it, I wouldn’t have zoned in so quickly on recipes that looked and sounded good. Bet the native Indians are kicking themselves for not discovering Google first, instead, they discovered White settlers with big guns who robbed them of their land.

Roasted sweet dumpling squash with drizzled olive oil and maple syrup -- 2 thumbs up from the hubs
6. I'm grateful for living in this land of the plenty and never having to see starving people walking the streets. Never mind if the truly unfortunate are really the hugely obese surviving on food stamps and on cheap, sugary and processed food. The government is going to do something for these people, right?? Sarah Palin for Walmart central America 2012!

Roasted tri-colour capsicums and sweet onions with garlic and rosemary crust
7. I'm also thankful that no one actually reads this blog or my politically incorrect words will come to bite me on my fat arse one day.

Berries and apple in lemon juice for double-crust pie
8. And I'm thankful for those who still read my blog and enjoy it without trying to find the hidden meaning in my words or probe me to explain what I meant in #5- #6 and/or if I have a problem with white people and/or people with big arses. For the record, Sarah Palin does not have a big arse; she is Barbie, darn it! Respect her intelligence!

Apple & berry pie with custard base. The best flaky crust ever -- thanks to Alan Carter! Google him, he will not disappoint.
9. I'm counting my blessings that all this leftover means no-cooking for a few meals. Bet every Mom is rejoicing at this one!

10. Bless the farmers whose sweat and hardwork grew these produce possible for our enjoyment. We are, forever, grateful.

Lastly, I'm thankful to have my family and the other only known Singaporean in the area recently relocated from New Jersey --Uncle Sim -- as the kids call him, to share this feast with. 

Burp.




2 comments: