Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween's treat

Chocolate castle cake, specially baked by Holly

My baby turned 3 last Sunday, on Halloween itself. I’ve been trying not to let that happen – her growing up, I mean – but by some freak of nature, she was determined to continue sprouting. I’d delayed my potty training target, but at 2 yrs old, she’d gone ahead and weaned herself off nappies over the course of a couple of accident-free months, before her older siblings did at the same age. She’s articulate; she catches the flaws in our arguments and throws it back at us with such sweet innocence that we don’t know whether a good neck throttling or rousing applause would be more befitting. And at school, she’s no light-weight even if she is very little amongst her American-sized peers but her teacher said that she “stands her ground” more notably seen in Hercules yet second nature amongst youngest siblings.

Where did my baby go? What’s the hurry my dear baby?

Trick or treating in the neighbourhood on a frosty Sunday evening

Unfortunately, I know that she’ll always continue to defy age limitations by achieving more daring feats -- it is part of nature’s twisted tale amongst youngest siblings. I know that, because I am the youngest of 3 daughters. But unfortunately, this time, I’m at the receiving end. Trust me, it was more fun at the other end. Watching her boundless drive and energy tackle situations too advanced and not being allowed to help -- because amid her frustrated cries, she is too proud to accept any -- is a hard thing to do. It is all part of growing up, that I understand.




But it is a bitter pill to swallow. I dread that one day my babies will no longer be and I will cease to be their world. It is ironic, isn’t it? Here I am lamenting that my life is one great insanity with 4 kids buzzing around me incessantly but yet, I know that these are the best years of their lives that I’m lucky to be part of. Because, one day, they’ll have families of their own, they’ll visit less and when they do, they wouldn't look as cute anymore and can’t be cuddled on my lap lest I’m desperate about wanting broken hip bones.


Dorothy from the wizard of Oz -- Sophia's first time trick or treating.

Who knew that parenting was going to be so hard? If someone had said, “do you want to have the job of looking after the cutest of babies, watch the same cuties grow up and then have them leave you one day”, who on earth would sign up for that job especially when no one bothered to read the fine print about lots of testy tantrums, sullen and defiant teenage years, and numerous heartaches abound? Duh, not me for sure!




But I did, unwittingly, sign up for it. It hasn’t always been easy. But when I think of my children (sans the times they’ve driven me nuts) they make my heart glow, and I feel that I must have done something good to deserve my lot.


Waiting patiently for treats

And that must be why 3 years ago on Halloween, we were blessed with a dark-haired impish treat who sometimes poses as a trick on our good senses. Happy 3rd birthday, my dear Sophia!


My Halloween treat -- very sweet and a hint of spice

2 comments:

  1. awwww, i never ever tire of looking at your imp. a friend of mine said via FB that "When you choose to have children you make a conscious decision,
    to allow your heart to walk around outside your body". your post reminded me of that. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a sweet saying, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete